Monday, January 9, 2012

Grungy Monday 32

I had so much fun playing with Linda's Grungy Monday challenge and making a birthday card for t!m, that I've decided I'm going to try and play along every week. Her challenge this week was for us to use our favorite technique that we learned during the 12 Tags, but it couldn't have anything to do with Christmas. You can read more about it here: http://studiol3.blogspot.com/2012/01/grungy-monday-32-little-12-tags-review.html
My favorite technique was the painting on metal and embossing it. I thought that was just the best thing since sliced white bread!

I picked up a new embossing folder at Posh Scraps when Michelle had her after Christmas clearance and I hadn't had a chance to use it, so that's where I started. It's a sewing themed folder and it also has three different smaller folders with different stitches. Once I'd embossed the metal, I used Paint Daubbers in Butterscotch, Bottle, Red Pepper, Copper and Gold and Claudine Hellmuth Studio Charcoal Black to paint the metal. Then distressed it with my sanding block and used my new favorite Distress Ink Gathered Twigs (from the Halloween collection) to distress it and then clear embossed the metal. I then cut out the dress form, button and spool with GrungeBoard and a pretty floral print paper out of my stash. Inked the edges and attached the floral paper to the dress form. I used Distress Stains in Stormy Sky, Broken China and Dried Marigold to color my background paper with (that you now can't see hardly any of!) and then ran it thru my Vagabond with two of the stitches folders and then using brown embroidery thread, actually stitched down both sides. Found a piece of Ruler Ribbon and distressed it as well. Then used a sentiment stamp from CTMH Simple Stitches stamp set. This will be going into Debbie's box for the Walk/Run in April.



13 comments:

anna christensen crafts said...

Sue this is gorgeous, I love it! Great embossing folder you used and I love your use of real stitching on the edges - it finishes it off really well.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Always love to see metal. You colored it wonderfully, and the stitching really adds a great texture and looks wonderful!

Maria said...

Wonderful job, Sue! Lovely work with the metal, you pulled it off awesomely!

Shelly Hickox said...

Beautiful! Love the paint technique with that embossing folder!

Anonymous said...

Love that you used fabric on the dress form...I love the stitching too.

Debbie DP said...

All I can say is WOW. This si great I love the stitching

Stamped Impressions said...

Beautiful! Love the metal emboss on this piece.

Crafting Queen said...

Wonderful creation, this is such a super technique and you used it creatively.

Hettie said...

Pretty card there Sue and lovely to see metal and pretty together. Gotta love this sewing die! One of my favourites!

craftytrog said...

Gorgeous artwork Sue! x

Terry said...

Very cool!! Love your take on this technique!

Jennie Atkinson said...

I love the way you have used the technique Sue. Gorgeous colours and what a super embossing folder. It was my favourite technique too!

Crafty Chick Designs said...

Embossing where the stitching is to go - what a fantastic idea! A delightful card.