Saturday, January 21, 2012

We be jammin'

It was a jammin mess here last week. I put in a special order at the grocery store for two flats each of strawberries and blueberries to make jam with. It had been a few years since I'd made it and I had forgotten what a huge undertaking it is! John pitched in and was my washer, picker, masher man one day and a fine job he did! I don't even know what my final tally was, but suffice it to say, we now have plenty of jam to enjoy for ourselves and to share with friends and family.

                                         Blueberries ready to be prepped by John
                                               Washing and picking. The chickens got the strawberry tops and any underripe blueberries. Oh the chicken chatter at the coop that afternoon!
                                          Mashed blueberries in the pot. They turn purple as they cook.
                                           Mashed strawberries in the pot.
                                            Finished blueberry jam. I did 1/2 pints and pints of both the strawberries and blueberries.

1 comment:

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

I'll take 2 please!!! Oh...and on stuffed french toast. Yummo...some how I missed this post last week!!!