Friday, September 4, 2009

From the heart


Got an email from sister Kathy this morning. Our double-second cousin Nona is in the hospital. Yes, double-second cousin! Back in the good old days when Florida was a wild and open place, there weren't many folks here. 'Cept for my crazy family. My maternal grandparents met and started courtin'. And since this was in the early 1920's, those who were a' courtin' usually had to have chaperones. So my grandfather's younger brother was sent along to make sure that no hanky-panky took place! My grandmother had a younger sister, so she too was sent along. Well, to make a long story short. Grandpa's brother, Gene ended up falling in love with Grandma's sister Bertha. Grandpa and Grandma fell in love. Uncle Gene and Aunt Bertha got married and so did Grandpa and Grandma. And they set up housekeeping less than a mile apart. A few years later, both started having kids. So my mom, her sister and brother are double-first cousins to Uncle Gene and Aunt Bertha's two kids. So that makes them my double-second cousins. Nona is in her 80's now and her health isn't what it used to be. She's been in Intensive Care, but is now in a regular room, so we're all hoping that her next move gets to be back to home. Which is what inspired this card! It uses the Oct CTMH SOM, Around The Block and CTMH Sweet Home paper pack. I used lots of masking on the card so I could get the bricks on the house. The window on the front door has Prisma Glitter. And I also masked out the "a" in heart on the sentiment and added a heart where the "a" should be!
This is also my take on this weeks CardPatterns challenge. Love it when I can combine a challenge with a card I need to make!

2 comments:

Liane said...

THAT is darling!

Debbie DP said...

love this card. I am going to have to try this stamp. Not sure about masking. I will have to give that a try