Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Chicken Check-In

Guess I have to quit calling them the "little girlz" since they are mostly grown now! I'm hoping that by the end of the month we might start seeing a stray egg or two out of them. They generally start laying between 4 and 6 months and the end of Aug, they'll be 4 months old. But I won't push them. Never do. They'll lay when they get darn good and ready and not a day sooner. The coops are soaked from all the rain. I tried to clean today, but wasn't getting very far. Only making it worse, so I quit. It'll dry out in the next day or two since they say were are back on track for 90+ degree temps starting today and very little chance of rain. One thing about the weather. If you don't like it, wait a day or two cuz it'll change!


I don't know why they always gotta show their asses! First pic is Cocoa in the front. She's still not "right" from when Queen B Survivor pecked the crap outta her. She reminds me of the Hunchback of Notre Dame! Then the two black ones are Penguin and Joker. STILL don't know who is who, and I don't think it matters much! Kinda in the foreground is Kiss. And Tweety and Sylvester are in the rear. Tweety's a beautiful bird. Can't wait to see what color green the shells on hers and Sylvester's eggs will be. Second pic is Kiss up front. Then Penguin and Joker. Tweety and Syl in the rear and Cocoa off on the far right. I had just given them bag salad treats and they were waiting oh so patiently for me to take the pics and get out so they could eat in peace! And see my volunteer cantaloupe plants outside the coop? If any stray leaf thinks about growing on the inside of the chicken wire, they make real quick work of it! Still haven't seen the first lope but the vines are big and beautiful and the butterflies and bees LOVE the pollen in the flowers!

2 comments:

jeanne said...

Wow, they grew up fast! Can't wait to see egg shots!!!

Debbie DP said...

Awwwwwww they grew really fast