Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Finally!


There was an unexpected but "It's about time" surprise for me when I went to do chicken duty yesterday afternoon. The girls had started moulting back in late Oct. When they moult, the do not lay as all of the calcium that they would normally be putting into the egg shells are going into making new feathers to sustain them through the winter. It's something that all chickens do, even the ones who live in Florida! Now the moult is long over, but I think they got used to not laying and I had not gotten a single egg in over 2 months. I kept threatening to put them in the stew pot every time I would go out! I don't think any of them believed me though! I think they know that I'm an old softie and I could never eat something that I have given a name to! So they continued to eat the food I give and drink the water and poop so I can clean that up but leave me no eggs. Then yesterday I walk out to find that two of the girls have suddenly remembered that they are chickens and oh yeah, we're supposed to lay eggs here! I had not been to the coop since Sunday, so two girls each laid two eggs sometime between Sunday and Tuesday. Now they just need to have a talk with their chicken sisters!

4 comments:

Lea said...

What a pretty shade of green. Glad you finally got some eggs.

Liane said...

Good job girls.... john the bird is laying eggs like a fool, maybe I should threaten to cook her and then she would quit! LOL

Jill (Scrap Wench) said...

About time they starting earning their "coop".

jeanne said...

LOL, this story just cracks me up.