Sunday, June 24, 2012

Rain, rain, and more rain

So we are currently being inundated with rain from Tropical Storm Debby who is sitting about 150 miles off the coast of Tampa. You notice I said sitting. As in not moving. At. All. Kinda like dejavu all over again. Hurricane Elena sat 60 miles off the coast of Tampa in 83, I believe it was. For THREE days. With Category 3 winds of over 100 MPH. It rained. And it rained. And it blew. And it blew. And people were flooded in their homes. Pinellas County was an ISLAND. You could not leave and you could not get to Pinellas County from anywhere in the Tampa Bay area unless you had a boat. They had sheriff's deputies at the county lines with barricades. Emergency personel only could get thru. I think Debby has bobbled about 5 miles in a 24 hour period. Yesterday we had no measurable rain here at the house. So far today, I have dumped 10.25" of rain out of my gauge. Yes, over 10" of rain in less than 24 hours. That's a FAT LOT of rain, I don't care where you live. And there is more to come. The weather forecasters are saying that Debby may not pick up stakes and move til sometime on TUESDAY! That's two days away. So lets see. Ten plus inches of rain times three days. That's THIRTY inches people! I know I've said I'll take all I can get, but seriously. What's that old saying about be careful what you wish for! Our street is already flooded in two places and there will be a third before morning. Good thing John's truck sits up high, otherwise he might not be able to make it out to go to work. Hopefully tomorrow the rain will let up some and I can go take some pics of the flooded road. For now, these will have to do!

 rain pouring thru the rain chain at the back door
 out lakeBACK property! Most people will pay a premium for lakefront property. We have lakeBACK at no extra charge!
4.75" of rain that I dumped less than an hour ago. I dumped 2" at 6:30 this morning. That's what we got overnight. Then I dumped 3.50" at 2:30 this afternoon and the 4.75" at 4:45. And it's poured since I dumped it. I'll bet there's at least another inch in there now. Stay tuned! Updates coming tomorrow!

3 comments:

jeanne said...

How are all the little egg layers doing????

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

How I wish all you Floridians would sent the rain to Texas!!!

anna christensen crafts said...

Wow, I can't even imagine that much rain in such a short space of time!