Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Holy Dolomates Batman!







Or Stuffed Grape Leaves for the uninitiated! I don't know if I've ever mentioned how much my 1/2 Japanese husband LOVES Dolomates. Being raised in Tarpon Springs, which has the second largest Greek population in the United States after Chicago, he had a lot of Greek foods at his friends houses as he was growing up. And Dolomates are a favorite. They are a MAJOR PIA to make, so I don't do them very often. And I make him help roll them once I've got the leaves rinsed and the hamburger/rice mixture made. This is three, yes, THREE jars of grape leaves. Oh, and lest we forget, my two green peppers! He does not like the tomato sauce on his grape leaves, so it's just on my two peppers. I'll eat 3 or 4 of the grape leaves. The rest? All John's. It will probably take him three days to eat both pans. Start to finish, it took almost 3 1/2 hours to make this. Oy!!

1 comment:

jeanne said...

I've never tried them but they look yummy. Are they sort of like a greek version of stuffed cabbage?